Thursday, August 30, 2012

I ate a pie.

Okay so a bad habit of mine (well, it's really two bad habits) is that I don't eat too much when I'm working a lot, and then once work subsides, I pig out. Now, "pigging out" for me would probably look like eating normal meals to a normal person. When the stress of a big work project is over, I "indulge" in "riskier" foods for me such as salad, fruit, and yes...pie.

I'm not a huge fan of cake. Cookies can be good. Pie is always OUTSTANDING. Yesterday I came home from a big work project craving pie like no other. I couldn't remember the last time I ate pie (a couple years ago?). I needed pie. Now.

Since a pie bought at a bakery or grocery store would likely send me into the bathroom for a week, I decided to be "responsible" and bake a pie that was more IBS-friendly. I do subscribe to the theory that IBS symptoms can be somewhat controlled through diet, so I have learned to make friendlier versions of many dishes and treats. I found a recipe that looked good, spent too much money on organic blueberries, and made myself a pie.

It was very good. The best part is that even though I've eaten almost the whole pie in less than 24 hours, I've had minimal GI distress. I can't tell you what a treat this is for me! For every 50 holiday dinners, special occasions, etc., I eat maybe 5 desserts, and 3 of those will make me sick.

Admittedly, conditions were perfect (at least helpful)...not too much work stress, a stable tummy to begin with, and I had already eaten relatively "safe" foods prior to the pie. But whatever, I ate a lot of pie! Point for GI Jane!

Writing this post has made me even hungrier for pie. I will post the recipe tomorrow as part of Foodie Friday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home