Saturday, July 16, 2011

It's all in my head.

Some IBS patients have the unfortunate experience of being told that their disease is "all in their heads."

Before I get irate, let me guess why this explanation would occur to medical professionals.

The origins and treatment of IBS are unclear, so it's a scary disease for a doctor to deal with. The "all in your head" conclusion is a convenient one. Heck, there isn't even a real test for IBS; you get diagnosed with IBS after tests have ruled out everything else. The Unknown is terrifying to a person who is supposed to know a lot.

However, when faced with the statement "It's all in your head" (and I have been!), my response is:

-Um, I don't think so. Please read the research. Thanks.

-I really don't think so. Twenty-five million people are inventing the same symptoms for themselves? That arise from many of the same trigger foods and drinks? Hm.

-If by some chance it is all in my head, I really don't care! Please fix it anyway! Please tell me by what mental pathway I am creating this hell for myself and what I can do about it. The physical symptoms are still the same no matter where they come from.

The world is not flat. Just because we haven't acquired enough knowledge on a subject does not mean we should make up stories to explain it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home