Tuesday, August 28, 2012

IBS and workplace performance

As we all know, IBS takes a toll on workplace productivity, no matter what kind of work you do. Anyone with a chronic illness is constantly wondering if it will interrupt their ability to work.

Do these thoughts resonate with you?

-What if I have an attack today?
-Will they notice if I go to the bathroom again?
-Ugh, I am really regretting what I had for dinner last night.
-How do I explain this to my boss?
-How will I get through this lunch/dinner meeting?
-I'll just not eat until after I give that presentation.
-I wish the bathrooms were more private.

It can be especially difficult for people whose careers have an element of "performance". Besides the obvious careers in entertainment/music/the arts, consider:

-teachers who must lecture and/or remain with students in a classroom for long periods of time
-healthcare professionals involved with important procedures (don't leave that operating room!)
-daycare workers who are responsible for supervising small children
-anyone in a business that requires presentations and meetings
-attorneys (not just trial lawyers)
-psychologists or any kind of therapist
-event planners who must be present at large functions
-pilots (I believe there are strict health requirements; I wonder if they are tested for IBS!)

...and the list goes on!

I bet when you were little and wanted to be a ballerina/firefighter/astronaut, you didn't factor IBS into your plans.

The debilitating nature of IBS can, at the least, cause anxiety in the workplace and, at the most, cause people to switch careers or take a leave of absence. My own thoughts about my career regularly range from "I just can't do this anymore" to "Screw IBS! I won't let this ruin my work!"

Today is a "Screw IBS!" kind of day.


1 Comments:

At February 3, 2013 at 9:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Stress doesn’t cause IBS, but it can make your symptoms worse.


IBS Symptoms

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home